Beneficiary of Fake DMCA:
Jim Downs – REIN
Fake Link/Website Used:
Date of Submission:
March 15, 2016
ANALYZING THE FAKE DMCA
Sometimes, the scammers just want to keep it simple, cheap and direct. No fancy fake News Portals, no fancy blogs or aged domain names to acquire and set up.
Here’s what happened
- Jim Downs – REIN had a bad review at Ripoffreport.com. Truly, very damaging.
- They (or someone they hired) signed up for a FREE WORDPRESS.COM blog – jimdownsdarwin.wordpress.com
- They copied a random comment posted on the Ripoff Report page and published it on this wordpress blog, and backdated it to make it look like an old post.
- They filed a fake DMCA report at Google to try and get the Ripoff Report page removed from it’s search results.
Let us dissect and analyze the evidence at hand –
- The first mistake – https://www.lumendatabase.org/notices/11958781 , if you are going to file a DMCA to remove a content, at least avoid using the name of the person who benefits from this scam. Or are they serious when they claim that Jim Downs (REIN) published a wordpress post and the Ripoff Report comment himself and filed the DMCA report against his own action? Haste, maybe?
- The other evidence that’ll prove this to be a scam, is the actual date when this wordpress.com article was actually set up. If you see the below images (source code of the article at wordpress, and the DMCA notice), you’ll see the article was set up on 14 March 2016, and the DMCA was filed the very next day on 15th March 2016.
SO WHAT WERE THEY TRYING TO HIDE ?
Jim Downs – REIN have a pretty damaging, corroborative and convincing report attacking them at Ripoff Report. We can only imagine how much this would be hurting their online reputation and business. The article takes them apart piece by piece and leaves very little chance to maneuver any doubt.
So the last thing they should have done is commit a crime to hide this article. If there were a few people who didn’t believe it first, the fake DMCA act will certainly help make their mind up.
EDITOR’S COMMENT : For those who might ask – ‘why and how do we interject that ‘Jim Downs – REIN’ has something to do with this fake DMCA. Couldn’t it be a coincidence ?’, we will say this – When someone goes and creates a whole new fake news site, falsifies his/her identity and submits fake DMCA to try and de-list some very targeted content on Google, it signals intent and a plan. It is obvious that ‘Jim Downs – REIN’ or someone they hired was directly involved in this crime. Jim Downs – REIN also cannot plead ignorance in this matter, since this notice on Google search is hard to miss, really.