Beneficiary of Fake DMCA:
- Nick Garulay
- Perjury, Impersonation, Identity-theft, Misrepresentation
Fake Link/Website Used:
- Caddversion Media Pvt Ltd
Date of Submission:
- June 02, 2015
ANALYZING THE FAKE DMCA
Let’s examine the DMCA notice sender details –
The DMCA was filed by ‘CADDVERSION MEDIA PVT LTD’. Where have we heard this before ? Oh yes, another fellow fake DMCA notice – https://webactivism.com/zachary-kelman-investigation-for-fraud-impersonation-and-perjury-fake-dmca-10908860/ .
This explains the work of a serial offender Reputation firm.
So let’s closely examine this claim –
- The same fake website caddversion.com was used in another fake DMCA removal as seen at https://www.lumendatabase.org/notices/10824004.
- ‘Caddversion Media Pvt Ltd’ does NOT exist anywhere. Especially not in the USA where the company nomenclature is not in use.
- The website ‘caddversion.com‘ was swiftly removed soon after the fake DMCA was filed. The website however did NOT exist a month before the fake DMCA was filed in June 2015. In May 2015, it was owned by Jinmei Lei in China. The perpetrators acquired the aged domain name to give themselves credibility, planted the content (backdated) and filed the DMCA with Google. And it worked.
- Here is the lame DMCA comment they used – ‘I am journalist working for local news and one of my cover story have been copied word to word . Please go through it .You will every word is copied‘ . It is astounding that Google would even entertain such bullshit, never mind actually removing genuine links based on this scam.
Let’s examine the target URL – http://ambassador-auto-sales.pissedconsumer.com/nick-garulay-is-a-criminal-and-***-sucking-liar-20120522320063.html . This ‘complaint’ was published on 22nd March 2012 at PissedConsumer.com .
If this content was copied from elsewhere (eg – caddversion.com), it must have been published on the original website before March 2012. However, caddversion.com was not online for 3 years. it was just a parked domain in that time.
SO WHAT WERE THEY TRYING TO HIDE ?
It is the same old story. A firm has a negative review at Ripoff Report and PissedConsumer. It ranks high on Google and hurts their reputation as well as business.
This review alleged that Private Auto Trader was incompetent and provided unsatisfactory services. There were more serious allegations posted on the report and a comment posted on the webpage. We cannot verify the authenticity of these claims.
And Nick Garulay did no good by trying a fraudulent method to confront these allegations. Now, we’re not so sure these allegations are fake.
WHAT IS A FAKE DMCA AND WHY ARE WE LISTED HERE ?
In case you are one of the ‘beneficiaries’ listed in this report and are wondering what really happened, we suggest you look within. If it wasn’t you, or your associates, it is definitely the ‘Reputation’ or ‘SEO’ firm you have hired in the past. Perhaps even your law firm. So, instead of blaming us for this article, you must grill your Reputation/SEO firm and look for answers. We are merely publishing the facts available on public database and have nothing against you personally. It is more than likely that the service you hired indulged in criminal methods to deliver results for you.
Meanwhile, we are awaiting more information from watchnet and Google to ascertain who was behind this fake DMCA. We’ll update this page once we have more information. If you have any information to add to this investigation, get in touch with us at [email protected]
Soon after we published the first set of our investigation reports on fake DMCAs, we managed to generate interest from online media such as Techdirt, Adweek and Huffington Post. Some of the key stories included our revelations on Torrence Boone , MoneyLife.in, Julia Scelfo and aReputation. We also shared unpublished data and information with 3 different law agencies who looked into this scam.
And we got results. We dented this fake DMCA industry and made sure we act as deterrent to the rogue reputation firms indulged in these criminal practices. Here are some of the outcomes and changes we made possible with the help of several other citizen lawyers and agencies –
- Ripoff Report wipes out Google (fake) Removals with a stroke of genius ! Thank you Ed – at webactivism.com
- Court finds evidence of ‘fraud on the Court’ in one of the missing-defendant libel takedown cases – at washingtonpost.com
- Default judgment aimed at deindexing apparently accurate information about person convicted of sex offense – at washingtonpost.com
- Panic and desperation getting the better of rogue reputation services – at webactivism.com
- Google still deindexing some material found by courts to be defamatory — but it’s being more skeptical – at washingtonpost.com
- Google Apparently No Longer Humoring Court Orders To Delist Defamatory Content – at techdirt.com
- Paul Levy Discovers Head Of Reputation Management Company Signed Off On Forged/Fraudulent Court Docs – at techdirt.com
- Filing Bogus Lawsuits As Part Of A ‘Reputation Management’ Strategy Costs Firm $71,000 – at techdirt.com
- Richart Ruddie Settles anti-SLAPP Claims, Makes Restitution; but the Guilty Companies Remain Unpunished – at typepad.com
- Who Filed Fake Copyright Infringement Complaints Against AgencySpy? – at adweek.com
- The Dark Art of Fake DMCA Takedown Requests – at huffingtonpost.com
Fake Fraudulent DMCA might seem inconspicuous, until its you at the receiving end of this crime. This is not a prank. This is not an inconvenience. This is not random. These fake DMCA cases are calculated criminal schemes targeting very specific and rather important information/content. These hitjobs are usually against media, in order to help their clients hide important information from public’s eye, all in the name of Reputation Management. Millions of dollars are spent doing this, and if no one wants to bring this topic to the fore, we will.
Our team will not constantly monitor and publish these reports on a DAILY basis without fail. And we do not plan to publish and forget. We will take constructive steps in order to expose the faces behind this scam, and to try and undo the damages. AND IF YOU INDEED PART OF THIS SCAM, WE WILL ENSURE THAT YOU GET WHAT’S COMING YOUR WAY.